Tuesday, September 29, 2015

9-28-15 Stop me if you've heard this...


Dear Friends,

I probably already told you this story in person, but I want it documented in print. I mean, if you can't see it on the internet, what's the point, right? Actually, I plan on printing off my blogs at the end of this year and making myself a sort of journal of it all and this will make sure I remember my story.

I had been feeling sort of like I was inside a bubble, hanging out with the same people all the time. I've been reading Jen Hatmaker and she has a real vision for having friends from all walks of life, so I wanted to branch out into something new. Bowling was what came to mind.

Let me preface...I love to bowl. Loy does not share my passion. (I figure it has to do with him being left-handed, but am not sure.) Loving to bowl does not, evidently, ensure that you are talented at that game, mind you. So, a bowling league it is!

I went online to find a league and found out that the bowling alley about a mile away from my house has leagues that were open. I filled out the form and clicked on "Submit."

A week went by. Then two. I thought, "Well, I guess God doesn't really want me to join a bowling league right now." (Not a deep theology on my part, I'm afraid.) I didn't pursue the matter.

Then, on a Tuesday, while I was shopping, I got a call. "So, you're interested in a bowling league on Wednesdays?" Well, it turned out he had not one, not two, but three different leagues I could join. "There's the Wednesday morning league, the Senior League in the afternoon, or another league late afternoon."

I said, "Gee, I hope I'm not ready for the senior league!"

He responded, "Well, you just have to be 50." Drat. I was eligible.

However, after ascertaining that scores were, in fact, handicapped and this was a low-competition league, I chose the Wednesday morning league, which started the next day.

I walked in on Wednesday morning, envisioning me bowling with lots of young mothers with small children, imparting my wisdom and wit. This was not the senior league, after all. I walked in and what I saw was...grey hair. Lots of it. The other women in the league are (no joke) Francine, Virginia, Helen, Lois, Barbara, Doris, and...well, you get the picture! One woman I was up against the first week was on oxygen (she told me she is in three different leagues!) Another, whom I have not bowled against yet, uses a walker. But I think she can leave it behind to roll the ball...not sure. Several have specially drilled balls to fit their little arthritic fingers. You go, Girls!!

But these women can bowl!! And they are the friendliest bunch of women I have ever met in my life! They were all coming over to my team's lane to welcome us and each week they are just a joy to be around. We should all learn about welcoming new people from them!

Turns out the bowling alley had three women all new to this league that same week so, instead of putting us on all different teams they made us our own team. We are "The New Kids." And we are young, young, young. One late 40's, me mid-50's, and one early 60's.

The first week one of my fellow "Kids" said, "A year ago I weighed 150 pounds more than I do now." She looks great! Well, I couldn't let that stand alone, so I said, "Well, a year ago I was undergoing chemotherapy." Then the third Kid said, "Well, a year ago I had a liver transplant." OK, she wins!!!

I was telling some friends at book club about my bowling prowess (actually, I'm happy if I break 100) and one friend decided to join and be a Kid also. So we are a full team, all four of us. And the 4th has some health issues, so she fits right in! :)

I even went out (after two weeks) and bought a used purple ball, purple bag, and shoes (not purple). Loy says we need bowling shirts! Actually, various braces that I've seen the other league members wearing would be first--wrist, knee, special things to go OVER your bowling shoes.

So now each Wednesday I go over to Hollywood Lanes and throw a 10-pound sphere down a long, straight alley in the general area of some pesky pins that never seem to want to fall down. But I am having a great time with my new friends!! And, actually, hanging out there is kind of like finding the fountain of youth. I feel so young!

(There are still four teams who don't have a full team--if you're interested in joining us. Obviously, no skill necessary.)

Happy Fall!

Kitt.



1 comment:

  1. Ahh! You inspire me! I'm cutting busy-ness out of my life right now but when I decide to get busy again, I'll call you first! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete