Monday, April 25, 2016

4-25-16 Shhhhhhh! This is Secret!

Can I go on record as saying, "I HATE PASSWORDS!!!" ??

At first I thought it was kind of cool (back in the early days of the internet). Have a password to get your email (by modem...remember "You've Got Mail!" I loved that guy!) I felt kind of spy-like. Important. It was easy. Just the one password.

This weekend I tried to buy an app for my phone. It asked for my iTunes password.



(The above space is me, drawing a blank.)

So, I clicked on "Forgot your password?" which is my go to move when something asks for a password. Then you wait for the email to link you to the resetting of your password. Or you try to remember what clever answers you gave for your security questions. "Did I use a capital letter in my mother's maiden name?" "What WAS my first car?")

Finally I get to the screen to reset my password. I don't want to reset it. I just want the stupid computer to tell me what password I used for this particular program!!! I try one password. Nope, must not have used the PW within the past year. OK, I'll add a 1 to the end of it. Or maybe a 2.

I have tried to use the same password for everything. I know, I know. That's a terrible idea. But is it really worse than having to have a list of every password you have? I have to have a hard copy list, a list hidden on my computer, and one hidden on my phone, because you never know when you need to remember a password. I watch movies. In the cyber world they can figure it out in two minutes flat, anyway. Why bother? They can just search my desk area and they are all laid out.

But, once you try to use the same password for everything you run into problems. This site says one capital letter, one number. One says one special symbol, one number, one capital letter, one small letter. It just gets so confusing!!!

And those sadists who developed the need for passwords tell you to NOT use something that is meaningful to you. No pet names, no birthdays, no anniversaries. How in the world can I remember something if it's not special to me????? That would make me CONSTANTLY use the list.

So, finally I reset the iTunes password. Then it asked me for my Google password. Then my iCloud password. And my Apple ID. None of which I have a clue!! I had to go in a reset all those. But, one of those actually is the same as my iTunes password, which I didn't know until I had changed it already. So, then I had to go back and re-enter the passwords. And change my lists.

And your phone and your computer don't like it when you change the password on one of them, but not the other. So I have to go through it all again on the phone.

Then you'll go to some site that you don't use often and it will ask for a password. I have to think, "Well, what stage of life was I in when I set up that password??? Which one shall I try?" And you try a few and then, you guessed it, locked out.

I have my phone and my computer save passwords for sites every chance I get. That way I never have to remember. Another bad idea, I'm sure.

Loy just shakes his head in disgust with me. Is it dementia setting in? Is it chemobrain? Age? Why can't I get a handle on this?????

I hate those words, "What is your password?"

Or username.

Or Apple ID.


If you need me, I'll just be over here, pulling out my few strands of hair trying to remember what I used for a particular site.

Sigh.

Kitt.

1 comment: